Introduction to Reactor
Reactors are also called inductors. When a conductor is energized, it will generate a magnetic field within a specific range of space occupied by it, so all current-carrying electrical conductors are inductive in a general sense. But the inductance of an energized long straight conductor is small, and the magnetic field it creates isn’t very strong, so the actual reactor is a wire wound into the shape of a solenoid. This is called an air-core reactor. Sometimes, to make the solenoid have a larger inductance, an iron core is put inside the solenoid. This is called an iron core reactor. Reactance is divided into inductive reactance and capacitive reactance. The more scientific classification is that inductors (inductors) and capacitors (capacitors) are collectively referred to as reactors. However, since there were inductors in the past, and they were called reactors, now what people call a capacitor is a capacitive reactor. A reactor refers specifically to an inductor.
The classification is based on the structure and cooling medium, the connection method, the function, and the purpose.
- According to the structure and cooling medium: it is divided into hollow type, iron core type, dry type, oil-immersed type, etc., such as dry type air core reactor, dry type iron-core reactor, oil-immersed iron-core reactor, oil-immersed hollow-core reactor, clamp type Dry-type air-core reactor, wrap-around dry-type air-core reactor, cement reactor, etc.
- According to the connection method: it is divided into shunt and series.
- By function: divided into current limiting and compensation.
- By using: subdivided by specific use, such as current limiting reactor, filter reactor, smoothing reactor, power factor compensation reactor, series reactor, balance reactor, grounding reactor, arc suppression coil, incoming line Reactors, outgoing reactors, saturable reactors, self-saturable reactors, variable reactors (adjustable reactors, controllable reactors), choke reactors, series resonant reactors, parallel resonant reactors, etc.
The Role of the Reactor:
It can be assembled in three different ways, depending on the situation: vertically, horizontally, or zigzag. A large short circuit current will be generated when a short circuit occurs in the power system. It is challenging to maintain electrical equipment’s dynamic and thermal stability without restrictions. Therefore, to meet the breaking capacity requirements of some circuit breakers, a reactor is often connected in series at the outgoing circuit breaker to increase the short-circuit impedance and limit the short-circuit current. Due to the use of a reactor, the voltage drop on the reactor is relatively significant when a short circuit occurs, so it also plays a role in maintaining the voltage level of the busbar so that the voltage fluctuation on the busbar is slight, and the user’s electrical equipment on the non-faulty line is guaranteed. Operational stability. In recent years, in the power system, to eliminate capacitor faults caused by higher harmonic voltages and currents, the method of using series reactors in the capacitor circuit to change the system parameters has achieved remarkable results.
The Filter introduction
The power filter is a filter circuit composed of capacitors, inductors, and resistors. The filter can effectively filter the frequency point of a specific frequency in the power line or the frequency other than the frequency point to obtain a power signal of a specific frequency or eliminate the power signal of a specific frequency.
The Main Function of Filter
With the emergence and rapid development of digital electronic computer (generally referred to as computer) technology, to facilitate the computer to process the signal, a complete theory and method of transforming a continuous-time signal into a discrete-time signal under the guidance of the sampling theorem have been developed. That is to say, the original signal can be expressed only by the sample values of the original analog signal at a series of discrete-time coordinate points without losing any information. Since the concepts of the wave, waveform,, and signal express the changes of various physical quantities in the objective world. Naturally. It is the carrier of all kinds of information that modern society depends on. Information needs to be spread, relying on the transmission of waveform signals. The signal may be distorted due to the existence of the environment and interference in every link of its generation, conversion, and transmission. Even in quite a few cases, this distortion is so severe that the signal and the information it carries are distorted. buried deep in the noise
Difference Between Reactor and Filter
1. The filter is a kind of network that has a selective effect on the frequency. It can make the alternating current of a particular frequency band pass smoothly while the alternating current of other frequencies is significantly attenuated.
There are many types of filters, including band-pass filters, band-stop filters, high-pass filters, low-pass filters, waveform filters, LC filters, mechanical filters, crystal filters, and ceramic filters.
2. The reactor used in the power grid is essentially an air-core coil without magnetic conductive material. It can be arranged in three assembly forms vertical, horizontal, and zigzag,, as required. A large short circuit current will be generated when a short circuit occurs in the power system. It is challenging to maintain electrical equipment’s dynamic and thermal stability without restrictions. Therefore, to meet the breaking capacity requirements of some circuit breakers, a reactor is often connected in series at the outgoing circuit breaker to increase the short-circuit impedance and limit the short-circuit current.
Due to the use of a reactor, the voltage drop on the reactor is relatively significant when a short circuit occurs, so it also plays a role in maintaining the voltage level of the busbar so that the voltage fluctuation on the busbar is slight, and the user’s electrical equipment on the non-faulty line is guaranteed. Operational stability.
In general, passive filters are reactors, capacitors,, and sometimes resistors. That is to say, the reactor is only a component in the filter. Of course, for the low-pass filters (resistance) or high-pass filters. The reactor (notch) can also be composed of a separate reactor. In addition to being used in filters, reactors can also be used in resonant circuits, output inductive currents, current limiting, etc.